If you wish to apply for the issuance or renewal of a Greek Passport, you need to book an appointment before attending the Consular Office in person. In order to book an appointment please click here
Τhe new biometric Greek passports are issued by state-of-the-art technology to meet high security standards and specifications. As of 1 January 2007, only new biometric passports issued by the Passport Division of the Hellenic Police are valid.
The issuance of the new biometric Greek passports is regulated by the provisions of PD 25/2004, the GMD 3021/22.10.2005 and the later modifications of the above.
Thereby, the Greek Consular Authorities are competent to:
• Collect applications and supporting documents
• Safely forward such documents to the Hellenic Police
• Receive passports from the Hellenic Police
• Hand over passports to their rightful owners.
Please note that it is not possible to specify the period of time required to collect your passport.
In order to apply for a passport, your physical presence is required.
In the case if minors, supporting documents are submitted by the parents or legal guardians of said minor. In case that only one parent is present, the written and certified consent of the other parent is required (certified by the Greek consular authorities or a U.K. public authority).
LIST OF SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS
1. Application (provided at the Consular office)
2. Previous passport (provided it exists). The owner will keep his/her previous passport until the collection of the new one, by which time the previous will be invalidated.
3. Two (2) Recent (no more than a month old) color digital photographs 4x6 cm (or 1.6 x 2.3 inches) of particular technical specifications, light-colored background and the face looking directly into the camera. If the photographs does not meet the required specifications, the application will be rejected by the Passport Directorate of the Greek Police.
4. A Greek Police identity card (recent, where personal data, e.g. first name and surname, are also written in Latin) or certificate of municipal roll.
The Municipal Roll must not be older than six months. Only certificates in original form are accepted. If you do not have an original one, the Consular Office may request it on your behalf, as long as you contact us at least one week prior to your scheduled appointment. You need to fill in, in GREEK, the application form, specifying the municipality you are registered with, and e-mail it as an attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it at: 0207 313 8990.
5. Sworn statement (completed at the Consular Office) in which the applicant states whether:
• He/she has ever been convicted for crimes related to the issuance, use, loss or theft of passports;
• There are criminal proceedings pending against him/her or whether he/she has been indicted for the aforementioned offenses;
• He/she has ever been declared a draft dodger or deserter;
• He/she is banned from leaving the country;
• He/she owns a valid passport.
6. (Only for males 19-45 years of age) People under military deferment must provide an updated Certificate Type B. Those declared as deserters living abroad must provide certification of their military office in Greece, certifying their permanent resident abroad status.
The above-mentioned documents must be issued within six months of the passport application.
LIST OF SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS FOR ISSUING PASSPORTS TO MINORS:
1. Application (provided at the Consular Office by the parents or legal guardians)
2. Previous passport (provided it exists). The owner will keep his/her previous passport until collection of the new one, when it will be invalidated.
3. Recent (no more than a month old) color digital photograph of particular technical specifications, light-colored background and the face looking directly into the camera. If the photograph does not meet the required specifications, the application will be rejected by the Passport Directorate of the Greek Police.
4. A Greek Police identity card (recent, where personal data, e.g. first name and surname, are also written in Latin), for minors over the age of 12. If the applicant does not have a Greek Police identity card, he/she must submit an original certificate of municipal roll (see above).
5. (Only for minors over the age of 13) Sworn statement (completed at the Consulate) in which the applicant states whether:
- He/she has ever been convicted for crimes related to the issuance, use, loss or theft of passports;
-There are criminal proceedings pending against him/her or whether he/she has been indicted for the aforementioned offenses;
PERSONS UNDER GUARDIANSHIP OR JUDICIAL ASSISTANCE
In case of adults under guardianship or judicial assistance, the presence of such guardian is required at the time of the submission of application and /or judicial assistant certified copy of relevant decision must be presented.
Following citizens’ complaints regarding the way Greek names & surnames are transliterated in Latin, on Greek passports, we would like to inform you that according to the current legislation the above procedure is subject to the standards of ELOT 743 (ISO 843). Click HERE to see how your name will appear, in Latin characters, on your new passport.
PASSPORT COLLECTION (working days 9.30-14.30)
Passports must be collected in person or by a legal guardian or person dully authorized to do so. In that case, one needs to provide proper identification, along with an authorization bearing his/her signature certified by the Greek Consular Office.
The application receipt must be provided at the time of the collection.
It is required that the old passport is submitted so that it will be invalidated.
For any information or clarification, you may contact the Consular Office (working days, 9.00 - 17:00).
LOSS OF PASSPORT
In case of loss or theft of one’s passport in the UK, the holder must report the incident, as soon as possible, to a UK police authority obtaining confirmation of his/her report (e.g. crime reference number). Furthermore one needs also to proceed to the Consular Office (working days, 9.30-14.30) to report the loss/theft to the relevant Greek Authorities. If no other proof of ID (bearing a photo) is provided, a Greek witness needs to be present, for identification reasons.
The Consular Office proceeds with an investigation concerning the circumstances of loss or theft of the passport, which can last up to 3 months from the date of the report at the Consular Office. In case that the passport is lost/stolen twice, the investigation can last up to a year, depending on the case. As long as the investigation is in process a new passport cannot be issued
• In case of a loss, the submission of a new application is only possible after 90 days from the day of the declaration of the loss/theft at the Consular Office.
• According to the instructions of the Greek Police, the passports that will remain to the Consular Office six months. If they are not collected, they will be returned to the competent authorities in Greece.
For more detailed information regarding issuing a passport, you may visit the website of the Greek police - National Passport Center.
EMERGENCY TRAVEL DOCUMENTS AND EXPIRED PASSPORTS - GREEK CITIZENS ONLY
A. You do not need an emergency travel document to return to Greece, if your Greek passport has expired.
If your Greek passport has expired, you can travel to Greece - and only to Greece - on your expired passport (and your old ID card, if you have one). You may visit the official website of IATA for confirmation.
B. You do need an emergency travel document in case of loss or theft of passport or ID card to return to Greece.
For the issue of an emergency travel document, the submission of the following documents is required:
Application (submitted IN PERSON at the Consular Office) - NO APPOINTMENT IS NECESSARY.
• Booking reference or copy of an issued ticket.
• 2 Photographs.
• ID card issued after 1.6.1960 or certificate of registration in a Greek Municipality.
• Report of a UK Police authority (relevant reference number is required).
• Statement filled in at the Consular Office concerning the circumstances of the loss/theft of the passport
Travel documents are issued freed of charge, no earlier than 48 hours prior to your travel.
For the cost of issuing a passport, please click Here.
ONLY CASH IS ACCEPTED.
FEES ARE PAID IN STERLING POUNDS.