ACQUISITION OF GREEK NATIONALITY BY NATURALIZATION (ALIENS OF GREEK ETHNIC ORIGIN)
Aliens of Greek ethnic origin may submit their application for naturalization to the Consular Authorities of the place of their residence.
The following supporting documents are required:
- Application for naturalization of an alien of Greek ethnic origin (provided at the Consular Office).
- Declaration for naturalization (at the Consular Office).
- Passport or other valid travel document.
- Birth certificate or alternatively baptism certificate of the applicant and his/her children (original accompanied by the official translation in Greek)
- Registration of ancestors with a Greek Municipality.
- Recent Criminal Record Certificate of the applicant (original with official translation in Greek).
- Interview of the applicant at the Consular Office.
Please note that in all cases the original submitted documents must be duly legalized (Apostille / Stamp of the Hague Convention). Click here ---> Get a document Legalised
for information regarding the procedure to legalize your certificate.
The application with the supporting documents will be forwarded to the Citizenship Directorate of the Ministry for Internal Affairs for further action.
NON GREEK ORIGIN ALIENS
Aliens of non Greek origin, spouses of Greek nationals, are not entitled to apply for naturalization, as described above, at a Greek Consular Authority. They need to reside in Greece in order to have their application examined.
The naturalization procedure for non Greek origin aliens is conducted in Greece and legal residence in Greece for ten years (or three years if there are children) in the last twelve years, is required.
Persons that satisfy the criteria set by above-stated law may, at first, declare their wish by submitting a naturalization declaration with the Greek Consular Authorities at their place of residence. Please note that the competent Consular Authority to receive a ‘Naturalization Declaration’ is defined as the one in the region of the applicant’s address of permanent residence. No other Greek Consular Authority has the jurisdiction to receive an application or declaration for naturalization.
Communication with the Consular Office in London
For nationality issues, you need to book an appointment.
To book an appointment, you may click ---> Here
For a List and Contact details of our Honorary Consulates in UK Please click