Visas - Foreign Citizens Only

    Visas - Foreign Citizens Only
    Applications can be submitted after an appointment has been made at:

    1. Global Visa Center in UK for Greece  
    2. The Consular Office of the Greek Embassy in London

     Please note that the Visa Section of the Greek Consular Office in London operates an appointment system for visa applications. Visa applications will be accepted only by previous appointment.
    Important changes to the procedure since November 2015
      Applicants over 12yrs old must apply in person in order to enroll their biometric data for visa applications.
      We will no longer be accepting postal visa applications until further notice. Any applications received by mail will be returned.

    If you are not a resident of the UK you should apply at the Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence.
    If you are a resident of the UK for a minimum of 3 months, you can apply for a tourist, business or transit visa to Greece, using the service provided at the Global Visa Center ( Click Here to find an Application Center near you ) .
    This service aims to avoid long waiting lists and is focused on delivering the visa within the shortest time possible. The service incurs a fee which does not include the application visa fee. Please note that this fee is due to VFS for the service provided.

      Make sure that you need a Schengen visa --->   List of countries that are subject to a visa requirement 

    Please note:
    • Visa applications can be submitted  no more than six (6) months prior to the intended date of visit.
    • Visa applications can be submitted no less than fifteen (15) days prior to the intended date of visit.

    No liability will be accepted by the Consular Office for the possible loss or cancelation of tickets, accommodation expenses, etc. purchased prior to the issuance of visas.

    If you do need a visa you can download the Visa Application Form in PDF Format or   Word Document format.

    For Visa Fee you may click ---> Here


    A. To schedule an appointment with the Greece Visa Application Centre in London, (Operated by Global Visa Center) please visit  https://uk-gr.gvcworld.eu/contact-us

    The Visa Application Centre is located at:
    • 66 Wilson Street London EC2A 2BT
    • Tel: 08713760023 
    • Monday to Friday 08.30 - 17.30 

    In order to apply for a visa at the Consular Office:


    • Family members of EU/EEA/CH nationals who are holders of the relevant British residence documentation (click to see) do not require a visa in order to enter Greece, under the condition that they are accompanied by the EU citizen or they are going to join him/her.

    • Before applying for a Schengen visa, please make sure that you are holder of a valid UK residence permit and that the Greek Consular Office is the competent Authority to process your application.

    • In exceptional cases and emergencies, the Consular Office may accept a visa application from non UK residents who are legally present in the UK.

    • Make sure that you have all the supporting documents and that you have filled in (and duly signed) the Visa Application Form. 

    • Holders of Diplomatic / Service Passports and their family members do not need an appointment in order  to apply for a visa. They may visit the Consular Office, working days 9.30-13.30, except for public holidays.

    • Family members of EU/EEA/CH Nationals, since March 12th 2020,  need an appointment in order to apply for a Schengen Visa at our Consular Office.  Please e-mail your request for an appointment at visas@greekembassy.org.uk , mentioning day, telephone number and departure date. Appointments are only available Tuesdays and Thursdays  12.00-14.00, except for public holidays. If there not exist availability for an appointment at our Consular Office, or in emergency cases, Family members can also apply through Global Visa Center World Offices.. 

    • Nationals from Albania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, FYROM, Montenegro and Serbia, holding biometric  passports are exempt from the visa requirement.
    • Applicants, who have applied in the past, at the Greek   Consulate in London, cannot,  any more,  send  their application  by post.

    Prior consultation
    A Schengen member state may require the central authorities of other member states to consult its central authorities during the examination of applications lodged by nationals of specific third countries. This consultation process can take at least eight (8) days. Thus, visa applicants must bear in mind when they lodge their visa applications. 


    Passports can be collected as advised by the Visa Officers. In order to collect your passport, you need to have the collection slip given on the day of the application. On the day of your application, you can sign an authorization allowing someone else to collect your passport on your behalf. If you wish to have your passport returned to you by post, you need to provide a prepaid self addressed Special Delivery Signed for envelope (Silver).
    Upon collection of passports and definitely prior to their trip, applicants are advised to check that the visa granted meets with their travel schedule.


    Note: The applicant shall present the original and a photocopy of each of the supporting documents (including the passport, the UK residence permit and previous Schengen visas) with the visa application. Photocopies are not made at the Consular Office.

    • A Visa Application Form ---> Click Here to Download one  ( in PDF Format ) or Here  ( in Word Document Format )

    • Original documents (marriage certificates, birth certificates e.t.c) issued by other countries (other than the UK) need to have the apostille stamp or the  legalization of  the relevant Embassy, in case the country is not a member of the Hague Convention.

    • An official translation is required (original or true copy legalized by the relevant Embassy) in case the documents (marriage certificates, birth certificates, etc) are issued by other countries ( and are not in English )

    Non exhaustive list of supporting documents for a Schengen visa:
    (Please make sure that you have prepared photocopies of all the documents to be submitted with your application)

    • Valid travel document (it should be valid for, at least, three months after the intended date of departure from the Schengen area. Please, also note that the passport needs to have at least two blank pages and to have been issued within the last 10 years).

    • UK residence permit: Uk residence permit, endorsed in the passport or issued as a Biometric card, must be valid for at least 90 days before return date of the trip to Schengen area; C type visitor visa is not acceptable

    • Filled in and signed application form. Members of family included in the applicant’s travel document shall submit a separate application. Please note that all relevant fields must be filled in at the time of application.

    • Two (2) photos are required (See photograph required standards). Photos that do not comply with these standards will not be accepted.

    • Travel medical insurance: Applicants shall prove that they are in possession of adequate and valid travel medical insurance to cover any expenses which might arise during their stay (s) in the territory of the Member States. THE MINIMUM COVERAGE SHALL BE EUR 30.000. In order to prove that, the applicants have to submit the TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE INSURANCE.

    • For students, a recent original letter from their University is required.

    • Supporting documents that clearly provide evidence of the following:
    1. Purpose of the intended journey (i.e. confirmation of flight/ferry bookings etc)
    2. Proof of accommodation (hotel bookings, original invitation letter duly signed by the host, whose signature needs to be verified by a Greek authority (police, honorary consulate etc). When the data regarding the host has not been verified by the authorities of the Member State dealing with the application, the applicant needs to present: A copy of ID card or bio data page of the host's passport; residence permit; proof of residence (property title deeds, rental agreements etc, proof of income).
    3. Proof of sufficient means of subsistence both for the duration of the intended stay and for the return to the UK (i.e. bank statements, minimum amount for the last three months (please note that the minimum amount of money you need to have for each day that you stay to Greece is 50 euros, credit card(s) account statement, travelers’ cheques, salary slips, registered proof of sponsorship and/or private accommodation).
    4. Proof of employment (this may be proved by a recent original certificate of employment/ pay slips/proof of social security contribution or for self employed applicants, an original letter from their accountant or the last tax return form ).
    5. Proof of travel (airplane, train, boat, coach, car). When booking a return ticket, please be aware that filing a complete application does not guarantee that a visa will be granted. It may advisable to book a fully refundable ticket.


    Business trips

    • An original invitation from a firm or an authority to attend meetings, conferences or events with regards to trade, industry or work.

    • Entry tickets for fairs and congresses (also contracts, payments of invoices etc).

    • Documents proving the applicant's employment status in the company (Contract, proof of social security contributions, pay slips, etc).

    Journeys undertaken for the purposes of study or other types of training
    A certificate of enrolment at an educational establishment for the purposes of attending vocational or theoretical courses in the framework of basic and graduate or postgraduate training; or an invitation from the host educational establishment.

    Family members of EU/EEA/CH citizen

    a) For the family members of an EU/EEA/CH citizen the visa application procedure is simplified. The following individuals are defined as family members of an EU citizen:
    • The spouse;
    • The partner with whom the EU citizen has contracted a registered partnership, based on UK legislation.
    • The direct descendants who are under the age of 21 or are dependent, either of the spouse or partner; or the dependen's direct relatives in the ascending line and those of the spouse or partner as defined above.
    b) Required documents:
    • Original passport (with a valid UK residence permit) and the passport of the EU citizen.
    • Original certificate that proves the relationship of the applicant with the EU citizen (marriage certificate, registered partnership contract, family status certificate etc.). Please note that the marriage or the partnership needs to be registered with the competent authorities. Marriages between a Greek citizen and a third country national need to be registered with the relevant Municipality in Greece according to the Greek legislation). In case the marriage certificate or the registered partnership contract has been issued from another country (other than the UK) an apostille stamp is needed or legalization from the relevant Embassy, in case the country is not a member of the Hague Convention.
    • Proof that the applicant is accompanying the EU citizen or is going to join them ( flight bookings ) .
    • Family members of EU/EEA nationals when travelling either alone or don't join the EU Citizen in the country of destination, must submit all the required documents as an ordinary applicant and will be subject to the visa fee.


    Passports can be collected as advised by the Visa Officers. In order to collect your passport, you need to have the collection slip given on the day of the application. On the day of your application, you can sign an authorization allowing someone else to collect your passport on your behalf. If you wish to have your passport returned to you by post, you need to provide a prepaid self addressed Special Delivery Signed for envelope (Silver).
    Upon collection of passports and definitely prior to their trip, applicants are advised to check that the visa granted meets with their travel schedule.


    Advisory information to all foreign citizens intending to enter Greece, please refer to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website - “SERVICES – VISAS”


    Q.1  - In case of a minor (less than 18 years of age), what documents have to be submitted?

    A. - Minors under 18 years of age must be accompanied by both parents/ legal guardians. If only one parent/legal guardian is present, the written consent of the other is necessary. The authenticity of the signature of this parent should be validated by a solicitor or a Greek authority. Other documents required are: the original full birth certificate of the child, and parents’/guardians’ passports (originals and photocopies as well). Please, note that if the birth certificate has been issued from another country (other than the UK), the parents need to present an official translation (legalized by the relevant Embassy).

    Q.2 - What is the minimum duration of validity of travel documents that can be accepted?

    A. - The travel document presented must be valid for at least three months after the intended date of departure from the Member States in case a single-entry visa is applied for. If a multiple-entry visa is applied for, the travel document must be valid three months after the last intended date of departure.

    Q.3 - Can I use my Schengen visa issued by the Greek Consulate to travel to other Schengen Countries?

    A. - A Schengen visa allows the holder to travel freely within the Schengen area. If you have already been granted a multiple entry Schengen visa (which remains valid and you haven’t exhausted the number of days that were granted to you), you may travel to other Schengen countries. However, please note that you should always apply at the consulate of your main destination, so ensure you do travel to Greece with the Schengen visa the Greek Consulate has issued you.

    Q.4 I am a holder of a Refugee Passport (Geneva 1951). Do I need a visa?

    A. - No you do not need a Schengen visa.

    Q.5 - How long does it take for my visa to be issued?

    Ans. - Visas will be normally issued in a couple of days; you are required to pick up your travel documents on the date stamped on your collection slip. However, for specific nationalities a consultation with the central authorities of the member states is required. Therefore, the waiting period will be longer (approximately 15 days). When additional documentation is believed necessary, the waiting period may as well be extended. You should also take into consideration that the issuance of visas for applications received by post require more time.

    Q.6 - What is an adequate travel medical insurance?

    A. - The insurance shall be valid throughout the territory of the Member States and cover the entire period of the applicant's intended stay or transit within the validity of the visa, i.e. the insurance shall only cover the period of effective stay, and not the validity of the visa. The minimum coverage shall be EUR 30,000.

    Q.7 - If travelling to Greece, as a group, can we book one appointment for all members?

    A. - No, you cannot book one appointment for all. Each person of the group needs to book an individual appointment.

    Q.8 - Which documents are requested for an adopted child to be granted a Schengen Visa?

    A. - The relevant Court decision/adoption certificate (original document) is required, as well as the birth certificate prior to the adoption and the birth certificate after the adoption.

    Q.9 - How can I prove that I possess adequate means for the period of my visit(s) to Schengen area?

    A. - The proof may be constitute of:
    a) recent bank account statements showing transactions over a certain period (at least the last 3 months)
    b) credit card account statement
    c) traveller's cheques
    d) pay slips
    e) certificate of employment
    f) registered proof of sponsorship and/or private accommodation

    Q.10 - Which Member State is competent for examining and deciding on an application for a uniform visa?

    A. - (a) the Member State whose territory constitutes the sole destination of the visit(s);
    (b) if the visit includes more than one destination, the Member State whose territory constitutes the main destination of the visit(s) in terms of the length or purpose of stay; or
    (c) if no main destination can be determined, the Member State whose external border the applicant intends to cross in order to enter the territory of the Member States.
    In the case of transit through a Member State, then this state is competent for the examination of the application. In the case of transit through several Member States, then the competent Member State to examine the application is the one whose external border the applicant intends to cross to start the transit.

    Q.11 - Can I apply for a Schengen visa while I hold a valid one?

    A. - You may, but your new visa will start after the expiration of the Schengen visa that you already hold.

    Q.12 - Should the supporting documents be translated?

    A. - If the documents (birth, marriage certificates, etc) are in any language other than Greek, English or French then these must be apostilled and officially translated and the translation has to be legalized by the relevant Embassy. 

    Q.13 - Shall I submit a travel medical insurance with my application?

    A. - Yes. The applicant shall present such proof to cover the intended visit(s) upon submission of the application.

    Q.14 - Who is exempt from presenting proof of travel medical insurance?

    A. - Holders of diplomatic passports and family members of EU and Swiss citizens do not have to present proof of travel medical insurance.

    Q.15 - Which British travel documents require a visa?

    A. - The UK documents that require a visa are the following: Travel documents for British overseas territories citizens without right of abode in the UK, British overseas citizens, British protected persons as well as  the British Certificate of Travel (Black and Red Document).

    Q.16 - In what name should the payment in a postal order be made, in case I can apply by post?

    A. - The Postal order should be in the name of 'Embassy of Greece'.

    Q.17 - What should I provide as proof of relationship or my spouse's nationality?

    A. - Your Marriage Certificate or Birth Certificate are the only documents that will be accepted as proof of relationship. The original passport of your spouse can be accepted as proof of nationality.

    Q.- 18 Will I get my visa at the end of the process?

    A. - An application submittal does not automatically guarantee a visa. The issuance or refusal of a visa is the sole prerogative of the Consular Office.

    Q. - 19 If I have to travel elsewhere and my passport is still with the Consular Office, is it possible for me to have my passport back for travel?

    A. - If your passport is with the Consular Office and you have interim travel plans, please prepare a covering letter which has your contact and passport information. Mention the reason why you would like your passport in the interim in this covering letter and bring this to the Consular Office together with your application. Once your travel is complete, please return your passport to permit your application processing.

    Q.20 - When can I reapply; is there a timeframe after the refusal that I must wait before reapply?

    A. - You are free to reapply at any time if your application has been refused earlier. There is no time gap to be observed after a Refusal to make a fresh application. However, it is recommended that you note the reasons for the earlier Refusal before submitting a new application and make amendments where applicable.

    Q.- 21 Can my application be processed on the same day?

    A. - Applications cannot be processed on the same day.